Friday, February 26, 2010
No, Virtual Connect does not support EtherChannel\802.3ad on the downlinks to server NIC ports.
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Objective of this post is to configure vmotion without using “Shared Uplink Sets”. Other term not using external switch . Traffic for the vmotion will be confined to enclosure .
1. Define network under “Ethernet Networks” but do not associate with “Shared Uplink Sets”
2. When we define the network it should be like this
3. Once this is done then assign this Network to the server profile. You can dedicate one or two NIC which will be used for vmotion . How to find out which one is dedicated for vmotion ? Very simple on ESX side nic numbering will be in the same order as you assign . For example is LOM:1-c in Bay1 has been assigned to vmotion network which will be 5th from TOP. ESX will show as vmnic4 which is correct as numbering for ESX start from vmnic0 onwards
4. Once you do above you cannot have any other network on that vSwitch. This vSwitch will be dedicated one. You can assign any IP but it should be that other vmotion network on other ESX should be on same network.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
I was working with VMware support and was not able to generate vm-support log. It use to hang after creating folder but not able to tar it.
1. To delete folder and nested folder within without confirmation use
rm – rf
2. Under /root/old_cores you will find dumps created for PSOD , which is required for analysis
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3987551 Nov 5 2008 vmkernel-zdump-110508.02.35.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16883365 Feb 18 13:13 vmkernel-zdump-021810.13.13.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 262144 Feb 19 12:23 vmkernel-log.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 262144 Feb 23 02:17 vmkernel-log.2
3. less /proc/cpuinfo
4. To read vmkernel-zdump-110508.02.35.1
vmkdump -l vmkernel-zdump-021810.13.13.1. This create file
created file vmkernel-log.4
The log is like this
less –Ri vmkernel-log.4
5. dmidecode|less is the other command to manage the information
6. Very informative KB
I wanted to use vmotion using virtual connect by selecting “Private Network”. We planned to use VC switch itself for the vmotion and not going beyond. But looks like it we can not achieve it and we have to use traditional way of VLAN tagging . I will talk about how to use VST in my next blog.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Changing name of the Enclosure and Rack Name:
1. Login to Onboard administrator with user name and password
2. Go to Enclosure Information – Information
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Yes I am back after a long time and the obvious reason. I wanted to share something , I was browsing my gmail and guess what happened. Google was running on VMware virtual machine . You don’t believe it ? See below ..